EOY 1 is the End of Year CALPADS reports that are focused on Course Completion and Career Technical Education (CTE) Reporting. For the purposes of this article, we will ignore the CTE reporting portion of the EOY 1 report and focus only on Course Completion. Note: CTE Reporting generally is covered through the course setup process in Step 2 below, and using appropriate CTE state course codes.
Who does this apply to?
- Grades 7-12 with departmentalized courses
Good News! This only applies to students that take departmentalized courses in grades 7-12. So any schools or grades that only offer self-contained courses are exempt from updating CALPADS. However, the LEA is required to certify EOY 1 reports, even if they are blank/include all zeroes.
Step 1: Update Staff Demographics
One nice thing about updating staff demographics is that the fields are the same as in the CALPADS Fall 2 report so if your school did not have any turnover of teachers, there is no work to do. If there were new teachers, then there isn’t much more to do.
To update staff for EOY Reporting, follow these steps:
STEP 1a: Other Demographics
First, from the home page you must select your staff member that you wish to check/update. To do so, log into Aeries.Net and select “Staff” from the left menu bar to get a list of your staff members.
When you select the desired staff member, the screen should appear like the one below. It is here that you can start to enter in the key demographic data in the red squares below:
Many of the fields should be obvious such as First, Middle, Last, Date of Birth, etc., but some that are not quite as obvious include:
- Hire Date
- This is the first day that the staff member was considered to be active as a staff member
- Ed Lvl (Education Level)
- A-Associate-This is an Associate degree. The degree could be an AA, AS, AAS (Associate of Applied Sciences), or ASN (Associate of Science Nursing). The degree is indicated on the transcripts submitted by the applicant and the exact degree will vary by institution. We refer to the degree in general terms as an Associate degree.
- B-Baccalaureate-The same applies to the Baccalaureate degree as with the Associate degree. This may be a BA, BS, Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Music, etc. We refer to the degree in general terms as a Bachelor’s degree.
- C-Baccalaureate Plus 30-A Bachelor’s Degree plus 30 or more additional semester units.
- D-Doctorate-This is a Doctorate degree. This may be a Ph.D., Ed.D., M.D., etc. We refer to the degree in general terms as a Doctorate degree.
- F-Fifth Year-This is used primarily with out-of-state or out-of-country trained educators who have completed a minimum of 30 semester units of graduate level course work after the completion of the bachelor’s degree and without being granted a Master’s degree. We consider the completion of the 30 semester units as a Fifth Year of Study.
- M-Master-The same applies to the Master’s degree as with the Associate and Bachelor’s degree. This may be a MA, MS, Master of Education, etc. We refer to them in general terms as a Master’s degree.
- N-None-No degree indicated on the transcripts submitted.
- S-Special-The Special Degree is used to indicate the completion of a Juris Doctor degree.
- U-Fifth Year within BA-The Fifth Year within the BA (BS, Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Music, etc. are also applicable) is primarily used with out-of-state or out-of-country educators to indicate the completion of a minimum of 150 semester units of course work completed within the bachelor’s degree program. Individuals who have completed the 150 semester units of course work within the bachelor’s degree are considered to have completed the equivalent of the Fifth Year of Study.
- V-Master Plus 30-A Master’s Degree plus 30 or more additional semester units.
- Y-Fifth Year Induction-The Fifth Year Induction is used to indicate that the individual has completed an induction program through an approved induction program sponsor.
- This is a Y or N answer to the question: “Is this student Hispanic or Latino?”
- Race 1-5
- These are the race codes of the staff member. They do not follow an order of priority.
- 100-American Indian or Alaska Native-A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
- 205-Asian Indian-Asian Indian
- 299-Other Asian-Other Asian
- 399-Other Pacific Islander-Other Pacific Islander
- 400-Filipino-A person having origins in the original peoples of the Philippines. At the state level, this is a Race Ethnicity Category, but for federal reporting purposes, this is considered a sub-category of the Asian Race Ethnicity Category.
- 600-Black or African American-A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as ôHaitianö or ôNegroö can be used in addition to ôBlack or African American.ö
- 700-White-A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
- These are the race codes of the staff member. They do not follow an order of priority.
- Pos Stat (Position Status)
- 1-Tenured-The teacher is granted the right not to be fired without cause after an initial probationary period.
- 2-Probationary-The teacher is in a trial period of his or her employment to determine whether or not he or she is suitable for the position.
- 3-Temporary-The teacher is hired with the intention that he or she will employed for a finite period of time.
- 4-Other-Any other type of employment status for a teacher, such as teachers who are not official employees of a district and are contracted employees from another agency or district.
- Total Years of Edu Service
- This is the total number of years that the staff member has worked in education, regardless of the district or reporting LEA.
- Total Years in this District
- This is the total number of years of service that the staff member has worked within this particular reporting LEA.
- State Educator ID
- This number is issued by the CTC (http://www.ctc.ca.gov/). Each school should have access to the database that will allow the school to lookup the SEID number using the staff member’s Social Security Number. The web address to lookup this number is https://info.ctc.ca.gov/fmi/xsl/SEIDLookup/lookup.xsl and you can request a User ID and Password by sending an e-mail to the CTC Information Services Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For a teacher of Non-NCLB Core Courses(which also does not require them to be “Highly Qualified”), a SEID of 9999999999 can be used. This may be the case for:
- Non-certificated charter school teachers
- New teachers who have not been issued a SEID
Step 2: Update Course Information
If new courses are being offered that were not offered on the Fall Census Date, their course attributes must be setup in exactly the same way as for Fall 2. For that reason, you can follow the link to fill in the information required for all of the courses being offered in the latter half of the year that were not setup at the beginning of the year.
Step 3: Use Aeries Grade Reporting Process
Before we can run the Course Section Completion (CRSC) and Student Course Section Completion (SCSC) records to report completed courses, grades must be populated and transferred to transcripts/historical records (HIS table).
Work with your counseling team and administrators to ensure grades are properly stored or transferred to HIS.
Step 4: Run CALPADS Reports, Review for Errors/Missing Data
Once the data is populated and reviewed from Steps 1-3 above, it is advisable to run the CALPADS reports and review them for missing data or errors before uploading to CALPADS.
Step 4a: From the Aeries Home Page, Select School Info screen and navigate to Imports and Exports > CALPADS Extracts.
Step 4b: Select Create Course and Staff Files, and if applicable, Create Career Technical Education File
Step 4c: From the File Download portion of the screen, download the files and save them.
Step 4d: Open the downloaded files, convert them from a (.txt) tab delimited file to a spreadsheet (.xls) and review for missing data.
The following CALPADS Templates may be used to copy/paste your data into in order to view the column details/headings.
Step 5: Upload to CALPADS
Once the data is confirmed accurate in Aeries, communicate with the staff person who runs your reports that you are ready for an initial upload of the End of Year reports (EOY 1) to CALPADS.
Once in CALPADS, snapshots may be reviewed for errors/missing data that may not have been caught initially in Step 4. If errors are noted, update Aeries, and repeat Step 5 until all data is accurate.
Note: These are full replacement files. Ensure the data is entered correctly and completely in Aeries, and run/upload/post files as often as needed to clear errors and update data.